THURSDAY, October 22, 1998
The Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs has the honour to present its
Your Committee, to which was referred Bill C-37, An Act to amend the Judges Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, has, in obedience to the Order of Reference of Tuesday, September 22, 1998, examined the said Bill and now reports the same with the following amendments:
1. Page 1, Clause 1: Delete Clause 1 and renumber subsequent clauses accordingly.
2. In the French version, Page 3, Clause 6: Replace line 4 with the following:
"de la rémunération des juges chargée".
3. Page 3, Clause 6: Add after line 7, on page 3, the following:
"(1.1) In conducting its inquiry, the Commission shall consider
(a) the prevailing economic conditions in Canada, including the cost of living, and the overall economic and current financial position of the federal government;
(b) the role of financial security of the judiciary in ensuring judicial independence;
(c) the need to attract outstanding candidates to the judiciary; and
(d) any other objective criteria that the Commission considers relevant.".
4. Page 4, Clause 6: Replace line 14 with the following:
"a report of the Commission within six months after receiving it.".
5. Page 6, Clause 9: Delete Clause 9 and renumber subsequent clauses accordingly.
6. Pages 6, 7 and 8: Clause 10: Delete Clause 10 and renumber subsequent clauses accordingly.
7. Page 8, Clause 11: Delete Clause 11 and renumber subsequent clauses accordingly.
8. Page 13, Clause 21: Replace lines 1 to 3 with the following:
"21. Sections 2, 3, 7 and 14 to 20 come into force on a day or".